ADVERTISEMENT

返回列表 发新帖
楼主: 五熊

[英文]Wisecracks and Witticisms 妙语拾趣

[复制链接]
五熊 该用户已被删除
 楼主| 发表于 15-7-2006 12:58 AM | 显示全部楼层
第十篇:Buzz off! 走开!

It happened more than twenty years ago.At that time,i only knew that "buzz" in the dictionary has the meaning of "a continuous low sound that a bee makes".
        One day my two sons,who were elementary school students,were playing games in the next room.Suddenly i heard my elder son shouted,"Buzz off!"I immediately rushed into their room,wondering how the bee came into the room since all the windows were closed.
        By the time i entered their room,i found my younger son was feeling wronged and complained to me that his brother ordered him to go away.Then i came to learn that "buzz off" means to order someone to go away,which is equivalent to "Don't bother me" or "Leave me alone".

故事发生在二十多年前。那时,我只知道"buzz"在字典上是蜜蜂嗡嗡叫的意思。
        一天,我的两个上小学的儿子正在隔壁房间里玩耍,突然听到老大大吼一声"Buzz off!"我一面冲向他们的房间,心中一面纳闷:房间的窗户都关着,怎么会有蜜蜂呢?
        等到进了他们的房间,只见满脸委屈的老二向我抱怨他哥哥叫他走开,我这才明白"Buzz off"意思是叫人走开,相当于"Don't bother me"(别来烦我)或"Leave me alone"(离我远一点)。
回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

五熊 该用户已被删除
 楼主| 发表于 16-7-2006 11:18 PM | 显示全部楼层
第十一篇:Calling card 特点、特征
差天差地的意思

I was describing a friend whom i met at the supermarket the other day to my American friend Susan,for Susan also knew her.However,Susan could not think of whom i was talking about from beginning to end.She asked me:"What's her calling card?"What she said kept me in the dark.I wondered what this had to do with the calling card of that friend.Did
Susan have the ability of recalling whom her friend was by the calling card that her friend was using?
        After i queried her about it,Susan couldn't help laughing and explained that "calling card" could also have the meaning of "distinguishing features or characteristics" of a person besides meaning "telephone card".

我向我的美国朋友苏珊描述前一天我在超级市遇到的一个朋友,这个朋友她也认识。可是,苏珊却始终想不起来我说的是谁。她问我:"What's her calling card?"我丈二和尚摸不着头脑,这关那个朋友的电话卡什么事呢?通过她朋友使用的电话卡而想起她的朋友是谁,苏珊有这种能力吗?
        待我提出提问后,苏珊忍不住笑着跟我解释说,"Calling card"除了是"电话卡"以外,还可以指人的"特点、特征"。
回复

使用道具 举报

五熊 该用户已被删除
 楼主| 发表于 18-7-2006 11:47 PM | 显示全部楼层
第十二篇:Can you dig it? 你能搞明白吗?

One day,not long after i started working in a surveying company,i was assigned to work done outside the office with a colleague at a construction site for surveying boundary markers.Perhaps due to the construction,the fixed marker,which was previously surveyed and set up,was removed and lost.My colleague and i made a great deal of effort to look for the marker but could not find it.As a result,it was almost impossible for us to proceed with our work.Therefore,my colleague decided to phone our company for consultation in a public telephone booth.
        Before he left,he gave the computer forms for reporting statistics to me and said:"I know it's got to be somewhere around here.I want you to take a look at the sheets.See whether you can dig it."
        After a while,my colleague came back.He was really startled by what he saw.
        It turns out that "dig" in American English has another meaning than the dictionary  definition.The second meaning is understanding or finding out by searching or looking for information,etc.However,I had already dug a big hole half a person's depth in the ground.

刚进测量公司不久,一日我被指派与一位同事出外勤到一处工地侦测界株。可能因为工地正在施工的缘故,早先测设的固定柱被移掉了,我跟同事两人费尽力气也没有找到界柱,以至接下来的工作都几乎不可能进行。于是同事决定到公共电话亭打电话与公司商量。
        他临走前,将电脑报表交给我说:"I know it's got to be somewhere around here.I want you to take a look at the sheets.See whether you can dig it."(我知道它就在这一带。我想让你看看这些报表,看你能否弄明白。)
        过了一会儿,同事回来了,看到眼前景象,他吓了一大跳。
        原来美语所谓"dig"有另一层含义是搞明白、探究一番以查明真相。可是,地上已经被我用铁锹挖出一个半人深的大坑了。

还蛮夸张的吧?
不过字面上意思确实如此
哈哈~
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 21-7-2006 06:46 PM | 显示全部楼层
哇。。謝謝樓主。。。這些都可以放在作文上嗎????
回复

使用道具 举报

吧噗 该用户已被删除
发表于 21-7-2006 08:50 PM | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 外星護法 于 21-7-2006 06:46 PM 发表
哇。。謝謝樓主。。。這些都可以放在作文上嗎????

事实上是可以的
不过
得看你老师的英文造诣了
因为这里有些是比较深奥的
本地大学生也未必懂。。。

如果你老师改你错的话
那其实也不出奇。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 22-7-2006 10:35 AM | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 吧噗 于 21-7-2006 08:50 PM 发表

事实上是可以的
不过
得看你老师的英文造诣了
因为这里有些是比较深奥的
本地大学生也未必懂。。。

如果你老师改你错的话
那其实也不出奇。。。

可是這些是美國的英語。。
老師學的是英國的英語。。
就怕他明知道意思還改錯。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

Follow Us
吧噗 该用户已被删除
发表于 25-7-2006 04:25 PM | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 外星護法 于 22-7-2006 10:35 AM 发表

可是這些是美國的英語。。
老師學的是英國的英語。。
就怕他明知道意思還改錯。。。

这些到底是国际标准英语呢还是只是美语?
待我证实后跟你说好了。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 29-7-2006 10:20 PM | 显示全部楼层
真是获益不浅。。。好!!!再来。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

ADVERTISEMENT

发表于 3-8-2006 01:35 AM | 显示全部楼层
没有了吗?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 28-10-2006 04:34 PM | 显示全部楼层
没有了吗?我还想看。。。等你咯。。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 18-11-2006 01:12 AM | 显示全部楼层
诶~没有新消息吗?你去了哪?我想你咧~还有吗?
回复

使用道具 举报

吧噗 该用户已被删除
发表于 5-3-2007 05:37 PM | 显示全部楼层
我是五熊的好姐妹
她回深山了
临走前把这里交待给我了。。。

下一篇
今晚为大家送上。。。
回复

使用道具 举报

吧噗 该用户已被删除
发表于 5-3-2007 06:38 PM | 显示全部楼层
13.Can you make it? 你能来吗?

When i was pursuing my studies in Florida,i came across an American classmate of mine in the street,with whom i ot along pretty well in normal times.He said to me,"Our class will have a party this Saturday at 3:00 P.M.,room 101.You could bring a Chinese dish or dessert.Can yu make it?"Immediately i thought that i was always a gentleman who had never cooked,how could i cook a Chinese dish or dessert or things like that.Thereupon i said with curt finality,"No,i can not make it."My American classmate seemed a little disappointed at what i said,and turned away with a shrug.

On the day of the party,i bought a dessert and went to the party on time.At the sight of me,that America classmate opened his eyes wide and said,"I thought you can not make it."

"I bought it.I did not make it myself,"I held the dessert in my hands in front of him and emphasized.

On hearing whati said,the American bent over with laughter.After a while,he explained that last time he wanted to know whether i could come,and did not ask me if i could cook a Chinese dish or dessert.Now i understand that "make it" usually has the meaning of arriving at or reaching a place or destination successfully.

记得在佛罗里达州求学的时候,有一天在路上碰到一位平日相处得还不错的美国同学。他对我说:“这个礼拜六下午三点,在101室,我们班举行晚会,你带些中国菜或甜点。Can you make it?”当时我心想:我一向是君子不下厨,怎么会做什么中国菜或甜点呢。于是斩钉截铁地说:“No,i can not make it.”老美听了,似有点失望,耸耸肩转头走了。

聚会那天,我买了甜点,准时赴会,那位老美见到我,瞪大眼睛说:“I thought you can not make it.”我把甜点捧到他面前,强调:“我买的,不是自己做的。”那老美一听,笑弯了腰,随后才跟我解释,他上次是问我能不能来,不是问我会不会做什么中国菜或糕点。经他说明才知道“make it”一般是指顺利地做到或达到某地或某个目的地的意思。

Can you make it?
很简单,也很好用哦!~
希望没打错字
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 17-8-2007 10:26 PM | 显示全部楼层
真的获益不浅,谢谢了楼主。

#33 的真的蛮好笑。谢谢。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 27-11-2007 01:18 PM | 显示全部楼层
楼 主, 我 收 藏 了 你 的 楼, 很 有 趣  且 可 以 学  得 很 生 活 化 的 楼。

请 多 多 上 贴 哦。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

所属分类: 人文空间

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

版权所有 © 1996-2023 Cari Internet Sdn Bhd (483575-W)|IPSERVERONE 提供云主机|广告刊登|关于我们|私隐权|免控|投诉|联络|脸书|佳礼资讯网

GMT+8, 7-5-2024 03:56 AM , Processed in 0.058360 second(s), 22 queries , Gzip On.